If you have ever applied for a Visa, you must have undoubtedly heard about VFS. VFS Global stands for Visa Facilitation Services Global, the world’s largest outsourcing and technology company providing support services for visa, passport and Immigration tasks. It has over 3000 Application centres worldwide, operating in 144 countries and facilitating 66 client governments. In each country it operates in, the objective of VFS is the same.
According to DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service, in 2021, the number of Indian students who went to Germany to study increased to more than 34,000. This number is only going to increase in the coming years. With more students travelling to countries like Germany, outsourcing companies like VFS help their client governments and countries in the smooth processing of Visa Applications. They also help them with issues or processes related to immigration and passport-related tasks. You need to book VFS appointments to reach the application centre, which can be done online or by calling the centre (discussed in detail below).
It is important to note that not all nationalities need a Visa to come to Germany. The countries constituting the Schengen area are considered the world’s largest Visa-free zone! Please check the table below to see if you (according to your Nationality) need a Student Visa/ Residence Permit to enter and study in Germany or not. Depending on that you will have to book your VFS appointments.
Student Visa/ Residence Permit
Do not need a Visa or Residence Permit.
Just register with the local registration office if you intend to live in Germany for longer than three months (90 days).
Do not need a Student Visa from the Embassy or Consulate.
If your intended stay is longer than 90 days in Germany, the student also has to apply for a Student Residence Permit at the Immigration Office or Immigration Authority also known as Ausländerbehörde.
You have to apply for a Student Visa at the German Embassy/Consulate or a visa application centre in your country (like VFS Global).
After receiving the visa and entering Germany, the student must also apply for a student Residence Permit at the Immigration Office or Immigration Authority also known as Ausländerbehörde.
All other nationality students who are travelling to Germany need to keep two things in mind.
- You have to apply for a Visa to enter Germany.
- If your stay in Germany is longer than 90 days, then you must apply for the Student Residence Permit as well.
Depending on your period of stay for your study in Germany, you have to apply for either of these 2 Visas through VFS appointments or at the German Embassy/Consulate.
- Schengen Visa: This is a short-stay Visa which is applicable when your stay is up to 90 days.
- German National Visa: This is a long-term Visa which is mandatory when your stay is for longer than 90 days.
1. Schengen Visa appointment
To schedule an appointment for your Schengen Visa, you can
- Call VFS Global by telephone (022-67866013) or
- Apply online at https://visa.vfsglobal.com/ind/en/deu/login
Steps to book the Schengen Visa appointment
- Prepare the necessary documents for your Visa application using provided checklists. You can have a look at the checklists here.
- Procure photos that meet the biometric photo requirements. Click here to see the requirements.
- Fill in the Application form for the Schengen Visa. You can view the Application Form here.
- Complete other documentation procedures. Declaration on True and Complete Information, Declaration on Health Insurance (for multiple entry visas only) and Additional contact and Legal Representation Information.
- Schedule an appointment at the nearest Visa Application Centre. Applicants can submit their Visa Applications at any VFS Centre across India as the application will be forwarded and processed at the German Consulate General Mumbai.
- Pay the Visa fees at the end of the VFS appointments. The fees can be paid in Cash and Demand Drafts. The fee structure for Schengen Visa is as tabulated below:
Image source: VFS
Image link: Schengen Visa – Federal Foreign Office
2. German National Visa appointment
You can schedule an appointment at the VFS Visa Application Centre or the German Consulate. You can either,
- Book your VFS appointments online. Click the link below to visit the booking page, you will have to create an account first if you do not have one already. Click the link below to visit the login page. https://visa.vfsglobal.com/ind/en/deu/book-an-appointment
- Call VFS on 022-67866013 to book an appointment.
- Walk-in appointments are not guaranteed.
Steps to book the German National Visa appointment
- Prepare the application according to the checklist provided by the German Missions India. You can view all the checklists for different types of Visas here.
- Procure photos that meet the biometric photo requirements. Click here to check out the requirements to be met.
- All applicants are required to fill in the National Visa form online before visiting the VFS Application Centre or the German Consulate to submit your Visa application. You can view the Application Form here.
- Schedule your VFS appointments at the Visa Application Centre or the German Consulate (this point is explained in detail below, please refer to Appointment Categories and Place of Submission.)
- Pay the Visa fee. The fee structure for German National Visa is given below.
Image source: VFS
Image link: German National Visa – Federal Foreign Office
Please keep in mind that it is important to select the correct category while selecting your appointment for the Visa application at the VFS Global Centre. To ease your search we have included the table below for Visas related to Students and the category they fall under. You can also click on the link provided to visit the VFS page for more information.
Appointment Categories and Place of Submission
Image Source: VFS
Image link: Visa Information
Most of the appointments for any German Visa, whether Schengen Visa or German National Visa can be made through online application or by calling the VFS Visa Application Centre. In this blog we have covered some important points and mentioned steps related to VFS appointments.
For a complete list of VFS Visa Application Centres around India, their addresses and contact details, click here.